Hardwood flooring is a timeless flooring choice that has been as popular as long as we can remember! It’s popular for so many reasons; because it’s low maintenance and easy to clean, strong and durable, adds value to your home, and is long-lasting.
However, being able to care for and clean hardwood flooring is essential to ensure it lasts for years to come.
Here are our Frank’s top tips for looking after your wood flooring to ensure it lasts as long as possible and looks great 24/7!
- Make sure you mop up any spills as soon as possible to avoid any colour changes or warping of the flooring. Although, we do recommend mopping your floor at least once a week with a very slightly damp mop. If an area of your flooring is used less often, you may only be required to clean once every other week.
- Sweep away dirt and dust at least once a week. We recommend using microfibre cloths, soft sweeping brushes, and flat-headed spray mops for the most effective and gentle cleaning results. Doing this regularly minimises the chance of loose debris causing scratches to your flooring surface.
- Do not use any sort of abrasive cleaning equipment on your flooring as this may result in colour fading and damage.
- Do not use cleaning products or polish designed for furniture on your wooden flooring. Instead, make sure you use floor-specific cleaning products.
- When you’ve been outside, make sure you remove your dirty shoes at the door before walking on your floor. Mud stains and wet marks can cause permanent damage in the long-run.
- Fit protective pads to the bottom of your furniture to prevent them scuffing and scraping your wooden flooring. Plus, if you have a cat or dog, be sure to clip their nails regularly to reduce the risk of further scratches.
- Maintain the beautiful, timeless look of your flooring by sanding and refinishing it from time to time. We recommend using a reviving wax every six months to keep the wood looking as fresh as possible. Every couple of years, we’d suggest sanding and refinishing, as well as applying a coat of oil to replenish your flooring.
Pop on down to your local Frank’s and we’ll help you pick out the perfect hardwood flooring for your home!